Friday 13 March 2020

Here, here, a music inspired poem


Here

It’s just past midnight
And the dogs are barking,
Tethered and caged.
I stop writing to listen.
One sets off a chain,
An antiphonal chorus,
The same doggy message
Of desire and disappointment
Reaching across Europe,
Skipping the chill waves
To fetch up on the frigid
Shores of England, then
Disappearing inland.

I can hear a train.
It churns the dark sky,
Roiling the turbid clouds,
Like soup simmering
And then boiling over;
Its rhythm clamouring,
The noise thick in the air
Like a smell - cloying,
Greasy with hope,
Mechanical yet animal
In flavour.
I stop writing to listen,
My pen hovering …
It’s passing through,
People travelling
To ticketed destinations,
To faraway places.

On the radio,
The Szymanowski Quartet
Is building up momentum too,
In Elena Kats-Cherin’s For Rosa.
I close my eyes and swoon,
Carried along,
Swept downstream
By lullaby and dream,
Crossing borders, continents,
And cultures … until
The final soft braking of a violin
Brings us to a halt … a full stop

Here.


I first heard this piece on the BBC World Service, played by the Szymanowski Quartet.  However, I couldn't find their rendition on the internet, nor, when I contacted their website, could they provide me with a link.  You'll notice the title has changed, but it's essentially the same song, a lovely piece.


Click to listen


Click to read

You can comment here




No comments:

Post a Comment